I know I am biased but this really is the best spag bol recipe ever. Lots of people have vouched for it, well, maybe just a handful of people. But hopefully lots more will now I am sharing it with the world wide web! Perfect for batch-cooking in these post apocalyptic self-isolation times. Do not skip the red lentils, they really do make it. x
Spaghetti Bolognese Recipe
- 2 medium brown onions, very finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2-3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 500g good quality beef mince (or 750g to make it go further)
- 200g chestnut mushrooms, finely sliced
- 250g red lentils
- 2 tins peeled plum tomatoes (I use Cirio)
- 500ml good quality beef stock
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp dried basil
- 2 bay leaves
- a handful of fresh herbs – parsley, basil or oregano work well
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- about 150ml of red wine (optional)
- a sprinkle of finely grated Parmesan cheese, to serve
Heat the rapeseed oil in a large heavy-based saucepan with a lid. Add the onions and sweat them over a low-medium heat for 3-5 minutes until just translucent – add a good pinch of salt so they don’t catch. Add the garlic and stir, cooking for a further 2-3 mins – but don’t let onions or garlic brown. Add a tad more rapeseed oil if needed.
Season the beef with plenty of black pepper and a little salt, then break i into chunks and add to the pan, stirring well until the beef begins to brown (about 7-8 minutes). Once the meat has just cooked through (no longer pink) add the red lentils and the mushrooms and continue to stir everything together whilst the mushrooms begin to wilt (about 3-5 minutes).
Add the beef stock and the two tins of tomatoes, stir everything together, then mix in the dried basil, oregano and bay leaves. Add the red wine if using. Season well with freshly ground black pepper.
Bring to the boil, then lower the heat simmer with the lid on for at least 40 minutes or an hour if you have time.
Serve with wholewheat spaghetti, loads of grated Parmesan and a decent garlic bread (Co-op sourdough garlic bread is lovely).